Thursday, February 9, 2012

Welcome to Stoneflies and Spray Paint!


A warm hello to all of you art fans, fly fishers, and general blog hoppers.  This is Stoneflies and Spray Paint.  My name is Josh DeSmit, of Minneapolis, MN, and I am glad to join the ranks in the realm of rants and ramblings.  I am an artist, avid outdoorsman of the next generation, mix of city boy and back woods, and now a blogger.  My goal for this blog is to treat it's readers to the smattering of influences that drive my unique take on fly fishing art such as:  trout and other bug suckers, flies from the bench, hunting, street artists, fine artists, music, fashion, people, the Driftless Region, Michigan's U.P., and more. On that note I will start you off with my artist statement and a tidbit of my work.  Thanks for tuning in, keep your stick on the ice, and enjoy!

Artist Statement:

The goal for my body of work is to illuminate the liminality of the contemporary sporting life, especially that of the fly fisher.  By combining a group of imagery gathered through experiences while fly fishing the rural rivers of the mid-west with elements of grafitti and street art found in urban centers, I aim to express the duality of city life and the weekend getaway (or the after work getaway for that matter) through my art.  Many young fly fishermen and women are growing up in a stimulating society, and the traditionally static artistic portrayals of the sport fail to relate to these up-and-comer's lifestyles and experiences had while juggling everything and fishing.  My art accentuates the chaos, detail, and beauty that result from such a young fly fisher feeding in the film between urban and rural, school and work, a girl and beer.  All the while making lasting memories on the stream when able.  Robert Traver wrote in his book Trout Madness, "The best time to go fishing is when you can get away." I have yet to prove him wrong.


Transfer of Knowledge
15.5"x11.75"
Monotype, Collage, Spray Paint, Sharpie, Water-based Crayon, Pen


Release Fish, Keep Tale
16"x11"
Monotype, Spray Paint, Sharpie, Water-based Crayon

No comments:

Post a Comment