Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wait for it...wait for it...

Sorry to the readers for the March hiatus.  A new job and some quality time on the river made for a busy month and some great fishing.  The last month has seen a lot of flies tied and the continuation/completion of art in the process.   In this first post of April I would like to unveil a piece I had spent a lot of time on in February, and completed in March.  It is titled "Wait For It".  The subject matter is result of an encounter with a portly hen brook trout late last summer. It was big fly, hopper time on our little home water.  The work reflects the combination of a few missed strikes and the inner monologue of the angler during another lesson on the river.  It tells of the time when he uses his head for once and adapts to the situation to finally bring a nice trout to hand.  For some reason I chose the fish to be a rainbow.  To please the Alaskan's no doubt, and I do have a brookie piece on deck...whatever.  In terms of process, I utilized a found background that I scored in the printmaking studio last year, and then worked up from there.  I enjoy chance encounters and happy mistakes such as this in my work. I felt that the geometric square of the found surface could lead to something interesting and work well with some of my organic imagery.  I used spray paint, sharpie, and oil pastel to finish this bugger off.  Enjoy!  Ill throw down a fly and a hot song to finish things up.



"Wait For It"
20" x 15.5"
oil pastel, spray paint, sharpie on found black mat board
2012




Fly Times:

Josh's RTPZ streamer (Ready To Pop Zit)

Hook:  Mustad Long Shank Streamer # 4
Thread:  Red UTC 70
Tail:  Red Marabou, Krystal Flash
Abdomen and Thorax:  Red Marabou
Wing:  Light Colored Rabit Strip Zonker Style
Collar and Head:  Spun White Deer Hair

Haven't tried this one yet, but thought it turned out cool.  Might work on those blood thirsty brookies or bass.






Song of the Day:  Chinese Translation by M. Ward.  Dude's coming out with a new album, but cannot beat this video and story.


No comments:

Post a Comment